A Van Gogh Tops Annual List of Father’s Favorites
The popular online art gallery overstockArt.com, revealed today its official top five list of most popular oil paintings for Father’s Day 2012. Topping the chart is Vincent van Gogh’s ode to the Mediterranean sea village Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer “Fishing Boats on the Beach at Saintes-Maries.” Other artists named on the 2012 Father’s Day Top 5 Most Popular Oil Paintings for Dad list include William Bradford, Winslow Homer, Mark Rothko and John Singer Sargent.
More than 1,400,000 page views to overstockArt.com’s Gifts for Dad gallery were tracked. According to the click tracking, “Fishing Boats on the Beach at Saintes-Maries” by Van Gogh was the most sought after painting clicked at almost 27 percent, and Bradford’s “A Sunset Calm in the Bay of Fundy” garnered 19 percent of the clicks to grab second.
The oil paintings that made the 2012 Father’s Day Top 5 Oil Paintings for Dad list are:
- “Fishing Boats on the Beach at Saintes-Maries,” Vincent van Gogh– Originally created in June 1888, this painting is one of a series of pieces Van Gogh created featuring the seascape and French town of Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer on the Mediterranean sea. The painting provides the wonderful imagery of a Mediterranean fishing village with the boats waiting on shore before hastening out for a summer day at sea.
- “A Sunset Calm in the Bay of Fundy,” William Bradford– One of American painter Bradford’s most famous pieces, this work of art depicts several ships on the water in the Bay of Fundy, near the Gulf of Maine, watching as the sun goes down.
- “Right and Left,” Winslow Homer– Originally created in 1909, this painting by American artist Winslow Homer depicts a pair of Common Goldeneye ducks at the moment they are hit by a hunter’s shotgun blast as they attempt to take flight.
- “Untitled (Violet, Black, Orange, Yellow on White and Red), 1949,” Mark Rothko– Rothko’s work has been the talk of the town ever since it was featured on AMC’s Emmy® and Golden Globe®-winning series “Mad Men.” Ever since Rothko’s masterpiece “Number 12” was first shown hanging in Bert Cooper’s office in the award-winning series, sales of his art has greatly increased.
- “El Jaleo,” John Singer Sargent– Created early in Sargent’s career, “El Jaleo” is a dynamic painting depicting a group of musicians that provide the rhythm for a lone Spanish Gypsy dancer who performs for an audience of clapping listeners. It is a snapshot of a specific point in time – capturing the intensity and energy at the apex of the dance.
“Data mining our vast amount of information provides us a unique perspective on the market and how consumers are purchasing art work,” said David Sasson, CEO of overstockArt.com. “By creating the annual Father’s Day top 5 list we are able to help our customers see what paintings are most popular now and would make a great gift for their dads this Father’s Day.”